July 18, 2014

Fated to Love You (Episode 1)

Being the only person in my family that watches Asian dramas means that I have no one to talk to about them. For that reason I am going to try and actually get all my thoughts out there through this blog beginning with:


Title: 운명처럼 널 사랑해
Transliteration: Unmyeongcheoreom Neol Saranghae
English Title: Fated to Love You

Recap of Episode 1:

Note: If you have not seen the original Taiwanese drama then beware of possible spoilers.

Watch the episode on Viki

This is actually the remake to the Taiwanese drama Fated to Love You . I have loved the Taiwanese version and was really anticipating seeing different remakes since Asian countries make their own versions of popular dramas. I am not a very good judge of character when it comes to thinking about actors that I believe should take on certain roles. I am the type of person that has to see them in action in order to give my opinion on the matter. There are some that I never would have pictured portraying certain roles but made it their own and it was amazing.

With that being said, here are the four main characters and their Taiwanese counterparts:
  • Lee Gun (Ji Cun Xi) played by Jang Hyuk
  • Kim Mi Yeong (Chen Xin Yi) played by Jang Nara 
  • Daniel (Dylan) played by Choi Jin Hyeok 
  • Kang Se Ra (Anna) played by Wang Ji Won 
After watching the first episodes I was shocked by what I saw and not in a good way. Jang Hyuk's portrayal of Cun Xi is what is making me have doubts about this drama. What in the world did they do to this character? I like Jang Hyuk but this role is completely wrong for him. Sure in a way he is not the biggest focus of the drama since it does revolve around "post-it" girl Kim Mi Yeong. But did you really have to change Cun Xi's entire personality? Lee Gun is a person that seems to have psychotic tendencies and tries hard to be a suave guy. Cun Xi was nothing like that. He was childish yet someone to respect and adore. I will not feel that way about Lee Gun if he is going to be that sort of character.

I know I should do my best not to compare it too much to the original work since most countries do remake it because it was popular and they want to make it more fitting and relatable for the fans in their respected countries. Take a look at the varying version of Full House, It Started with a Kiss, and Boys over Flower. These versions stayed true to the feel and tone of the story. I did not see varying difference between the versions made like I do with this one. I am all for making a drama your own and abiding to the country's culture. However, when you drastically change a character's persona, you are deviating far from how the story should be portrayed. Which to me leads to a completely different outcome of how you should feel about each character. I am going to give this drama a shot and see how I feel like after watching a few episodes. Sadly, I do not have high hopes for it.

Other things I noticed were that Daniel and Se Ra are actually sitting next to each other on the plane back to Korea. This is a surprising event. I like that they meet because it just foreshadows the fact that their paths are meant to cross. Also, considering that he is talking about a long lost sister, it gives you a hint as to how these two will end up crossing paths again and why fate is bringing them together. Props to the directors in making everything a predestined encounter.

Talking about those predestined meet ups, Lee Gun and Kim Mi Yeong did not have such a lovely first impression of each other like Ji Cun Xi and Chen Xin Yi. Kim Mi Yeong was trying to balance herself as she rolled along with the bouncy balls that had fallen. Of course, she rolled right smack into Lee Gun. Sure it did look nice and sweet as they held each other and had the feel of a lovely dance until they flew in the air and landed on their backs. I think this was a nice touch since for both of them it would show that tragedy follows whenever they meet. Although, I really love the scene between Cun Xi and Xin Yi, this scene between Lee Gun and Kim Mi Yeong just fits better.

If you are interested in forming your own opinions then check out the drama for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment