February 26, 2014

The Hours of My Life

Title: 僕のいた時間
Transliteration: Boku no Ita Jikan
English Title: The Hours of My Life
Country: Japan
Network: Fuji TV
Aired: January 08, 2014
Episodes: 11


Main Cast:
Miura Haruma (三浦春馬) ... Sawada Takuto
Tabe Mikako (多部未華子) ... Hongo Megumi
Saitoh Takumi (斎藤工) ... Mukai Shigeyuki
Kazama Shunsuke (風間俊介) ... Mizushima Mamoru
Yamamoto Mizuki (山本 美月) ... Murayama Hina


Quick Synopsis:
Takuto is the type of guy that didn't have any future prospects and was dating a wonderful girl named Megumi. One day, Takuto discovered that he is suffering from a disease known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). There is no cure and he will lose all of his motor functions and eventually die. So now, he is trying to live his life to the fullest and do whatever he can despite having this disease.


My Thoughts:
Story Line:
This is the reason I like watching Japanese dramas. They have more heartfelt stories. (If they do have them in America, I haven't heard of them.) I learned about this disease vaguely but have learned quite a bit after watching this drama. It is great to see a drama that feels more real and although many of us cannot relate to the story we might one day. I hope we don't but you never know. It also might not be an incurable disease like this but still something along those lines and we can think back to this fictional scenario and try to be as positive as Takuto.

Anyway the story line is good. We get to see Takuto before and after finding out about this disease. This allows us to see how me matures and learns to cope with his new life. Now, the one thing I did not like was that it progressed quickly. We see him affected with one symptom and that is his arm not having strength. Then we see him slowly getting another symptom when his leg is also losing strength. Then presto, time has passed and he is in a wheelchair, his mom was living with him for some time, and his house has been modified to accommodate his needs. I think it would have been better if they showed small clips of the years passed. I would have loved to see how he felt or reacted when he got the wheelchair, or to see his brother learn about his situation. Plus, considering that this is also a little love story. I would have liked those clips to also show Megumi's life with Shigeyuki. The ending is what I wanted it to be which made me happy.

Cast:
At first, I was not happy with seeing Miura Haruma in this role. I saw him in other roles and didn't think he could do serious emotional drama well. He was good in Koizora which was more lovey dovey than dramatic in my opinion. However, this role is more intense. There are some parts that he played very well. It got me emotional just watching him act out scenes where Takuto is heartbroken and feeling alone. He is still not a person that I would have pictured in this role but he is trying very hard to be Takuto.

Tabe Mikako is cute. She is a nice looking actress. I just don't see her having any chemistry with any of the male leads. Her emotional reactions are so obviously fake looking. Nothing she does is believable enough. Or at least that what I get from it. Megumi does seem like a shy character and a girl that hasn't had much experience with love. Tabe Mikako has that role down. She is great at playing that sort of character, but not a character in love. I just don't see it.

I am not a big fan of Saitoh Takumi. Every role that I see him play just doesn't seem like his heart is all into it. I don't feel that he takes the essences of his characters at all. In this drama, I don't believe that he is in love with Megumi because the feelings or the chemistry do not seem to be there. I would understand for Tabe Mikako's character to act this way since Megumi is really in love with Takuto. However, Shigeyuki is in love with Megumi and Saitoh Takumi is not portraying it. I feel that all of his characters pretty much are all the same. There is no difference.


Music:
I love the music in the drama. It just breaks your heart and makes you feel sorry for Megu and Takuto. It just adds to the longing of wanting to be together but of course it is an impossible... or not since the show is still airing.

Overall I would rate this drama with a 4/5.


Available Online:
-DramaFever


Related Titles:
N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment